Everyone looks forward to going on vacation this time of year. No one ever expects that they may find them selves in a car accident while on vacation. But it does happen, dealing with a car accident while away on vacation can be more than stressful. There may be a number of factors that further complicate the situation.
- You may be far away from home in an unfamiliar location
- You may not know who to contact for assistance
- You may have been driving a rental instead of your own vehicle
- You may be dealing with injuries that require you to stay put for an extended period of time.
If involved in an car accident while on vacation you should keep the following things in mind:
- Call 911: Always call 911 no matter where the accident occurs. If you are unable to call, ask a passenger or passersby to call for you. Please note that calls to 911 from an out-of-state phone number will reach local emergency responders.
- Check for injuries: Always put your health first. Even if you don’t notice any mediate signs of injury you should still consider getting checked by a local emergency room.
- Get the police report: Always request a copy of the police report. Do so right away, as it can be difficult to obtain a police report once you have returned home.
- Notify the Rental Company: If the accident occurred in a rental car you must notify the rental car company of the accident as soon as possible. Even if you refused insurance from the rental company, your auto insurance may still cover you. Always check with your insurance company prior to declining rental insurance.
- Capture the details of the accident scene: Take pictures of the accident scene, the vehicles involved, and any thing else that would provide evidence related to the accident.
- Collect the other Parties Insurance Details: Immediately exchange insurance and contact information with the other parties involved in the accident and any witnesses. This information may be difficult to gather later.
- Contact Your Lawyer: It is important to ensure that your rights are protected no matter where your car accident occurred.